2023 Week in the Woods Camp Chef/Meal Coordinator Position Description
Camp dates: June 23 – 28, 2023
This position will require:
- Meal planning in the weeks leading up to camp.
- Food purchasing and organization and camp set-up, June 20 – 23.
- Meal preparation during camp.
- Equipment cleaning and storage, June 29 – 30.
This position is responsible for planning meals and cooking in a camp setting for a group of 20 – 30 people during our Week in the Woods program, June 23 – 28 (dinner on the 23rd through lunch on the 28th). The Camp Chef is responsible for planning meals, packing supplies and food, cooking for the group, coordinating kitchen helpers as needed, and cleaning and storing equipment after camp.
Do you like to:
- Spend time in the woods?
- Learn about forest ecology?
- Cook for groups?
- Craft with forest materials?
Would you enjoy:
- Participating in a unique program in the boreal forest?
- Getting to know a multi-generational group of talented people?
- Cooking healthy food in a camp setting for a multi-age group of fine folks and sharing in the Week in the Woods experience?
This gives you a glimpse into what cooking for Week in the Woods would look like.
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience cooking for groups as large as 30, preferably in a rustic or backcountry setting, with limited resources and equipment.
- Good attitude and willingness to be flexible and creative with ingredients.
- Willingness to accommodate diet restrictions such as vegetarian and gluten free.
- Ability to lift and carry 30 lbs.
- Must be able to haul a heavy cart across uneven terrain.
- Must be able to walk ½ mile in the woods (repeatedly).
- Relevant camping experience preferred (in mosquito country).
- Interest and experience in boreal forest craft and/or science desired.
- Must be willing to camp in the woods for a week.
- Successful participants will need to bring personal camping gear such as a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rain gear, water bottle, etc.
- Enjoy all the things Week in the Woods has to offer, including food, fellowship, craft, and fun. The camp chef will have time in between meals and after dinner to participate in classes and activities, though not as much time as participants.
- Pay is $1000 – $1200, depending on experience.
- Includes learning boreal forest craft and ecology from a team of distinguished instructors and scientists.
- Are you available June 20 – 30, 2023 (camp dates June 23 – 28)?
- Describe your relevant cooking experience.
- Describe your camping experience.
- Give an example of one day’s menu you would prepare for a group that includes a couple folks who are vegetarian and a couple who are gluten free.
- Can you confirm that you are aware this position requires hard work, heavy lifting, hauling water, and rustic conditions? Are you physically able to perform these duties?
- What else would you like us to know about you as we consider your application?
Send application and resume highlighting relevant experience to Kerri Hamos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application review will begin March 30th, 2023.