2023 Week in the Woods Work Study Position Description
June 18 – July 1, 2023
There is some flexibility on either end, but applicants must be available from June 20-30 at minimum.
Do you like to:
- Spend time in the woods?
- Learn about forest ecology?
- Get dirty?
- Create things with your hands?
Would you enjoy:
- Learning craft using materials gathered from the woods?
- Getting to know a multi-generational group of talented people?
- Sitting around a campfire eating good food with good folks, swapping stories and ideas while working on a craft project?
This gives you a glimpse into what helping out with Week in the Woods would look like.
The Week in the Woods work study position will provide logistical support for the program. This position includes heavy lifting, loading and unloading, setting up and breaking down camp, digging holes, and other camp support. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to attend Week in the Woods and participate in many of the classes and activities, as the bulk of the work will take place before and after camp. However, there will be daily tasks during the program, such as helping in the kitchen and hauling water.
Responsibilities and Duties
Duties will include tasks such as gathering and organizing supplies, loading a Uhaul, preparation of the campsite, hanging tarps, climbing ladders, unloading the Uhaul and setting up camp, and digging latrine holes.
During the program, work study folks will help in the kitchen, haul water, and provide general camp support, all while learning from a team of distinguished instructors, camping in the woods and immersing themselves in boreal forest craft and ecology.
Qualifications and Skills
- Good attitude and willingness to be flexible.
- Ability to lift and carry 40 lbs.
- Must be able to haul a heavy cart across uneven terrain.
- Must be able to walk ½ mile in the woods (repeatedly).
- Relevant camping experience preferred (in mosquito country).
- Interest and experience in boreal forest craft and/or science desired.
- Must be willing to camp in the woods for a week, live in off-grid housing (if not a local), and have a strong desire to attend Week in the Woods.
- Successful participants will need to bring personal camping gear such as a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rain gear, water bottle, etc.
- Attend Week in the Woods ($900 value), which includes prepared meals the evening of June 23 through lunch on June 28, 2023.
- Enjoy all the things Week in the Woods has to offer, including food, fellowship, craft and fun.
- Learn boreal forest craft and ecology from a team of master instructors and scientists.
- Shared rustic housing before and after camp (if desired).
- $500 stipend.
- Are you available during the necessary dates (June 18- July 1, 2023)? If you need flexibility, what dates are you available?
- Describe your relevant experience in art and/or craft.
- What knowledge and skills will you bring to the program?
- What benefits do you expect to receive from the position and Week in the Woods?
- Describe your camping experience.
- Can you confirm that you are aware this position requires hard work, heavy lifting, digging holes, and carrying heavy loads? Are you physically able to perform these duties?
- What else would you like us to know about you as we consider your application?
Send application and resume highlighting relevant experience to Kerri Hamos at email@example.com.
Application review will begin March 30th, 2023.